Newbie to the South West area

derklee

Hello all,

Not only am I new to the site but also to the area (south-west).

this site was recommended to me by others, they said I would get a honest respnce.....so here goes.

I am looking for a supplier of lighting and sound kit (both hire & some sales) in my new area. Value for money but mostly good technical and back-up.

Having dealt with certain companies up north I found very limited back-up (good service). Price is important , obviously but if I can guarantee to get someone with technical knowledge at 11.00 at night on the phone then price isn't so important.

Any recommendations/experiences you guys can put across.

Cheers

Most obvious answer for the South West is Stage Electrics - branches in Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth. Bright is another one that I've had a positive experience with. I'm not from that part of the world, though, so that's all I can usefully suggest!

Is this the company who are somehow connected to WL?

Only in the sense that Jason Larcombe, whose company it is, also works for White Light.

Is this the company who are somehow connected to WL?

I reckon they are 2 seperate peoples. That Bright (Blue Light) is a London based company connected with one of WL's regular designers.

If you are Taunton way there is obviously the ever-expanding Stage Electrics.

That Bright (Blue Light) is a London based company connected with one of WL's regular designers.

Er... No. Bright* is based in Taunton (also trading as Bright Blue Light), but the MD is Jason Larcombe, an employee of White Light (according to their website, he's Training Officer). Day to day operations are carried out in Taunton, but Jason oversee's the operation.

Stage Electrics .... Not sure on the branch size though.

Depends where you are. If your in Cornwall and west Devon then your local is the Plymouth Branch , not very big but the can get hold of things from other Stage Electrics depots if you give enough notice ( and pay enough). Then moving up the country the Branch in Exeter is larger and the Bristol operation is the Stage electrics mothership. Bristol Warehouse is HUGE, more an industrial estate than a warehouse as I believe they are up to 3 buildings again.

They may not be cheap, but they can get most stuff and they do have resoanble tech surport including a 24hr phone No. Be aware tho that if you call them out and its operator error you may be billed for the call out.

unis

For the obvious plug;

Enlightened Lighting

www.enlightenedlighting.co.uk

With regard to emergency call out, any company worth its salt will support the equipment they supply. A rental firm should be able to sleep soundly knowing that its equipment is all up to standard.

andrew

Moderation : excessive advertising content removed. Would members please take note of the Blue Room's policy on advertising when posting to the forum. Thanks.

depending on where youm are in the south west area I have found a company called esp production a very good company for ligitng and sound hire, they do a fantastic job for a very good price, have a look at their website: www.espproduction.co.uk otherwise definately stage electrics are the best in my opinion. they can anything you need from a single fuse to a full scale lighting rig. ;)

Also depending on where you are in the country there is

audiomsg

in Swindon

or Sonix or Southwest audio in bristol.

ESP are in Yeovil

But running a hire and sales company myself (audiomsg) I know that anyone will travel anywhere!

HTH

Simon

Has Bright* got a website?

Yup, www.brightbluelight.com. Not much on it though!

Although I've never hired anything from them I have been in contact about a possible hire (the event was cancelled!) but the experience I had with them was great and their prices on hire stock and delivery are good too.

Which part of the South West will you be in?

Hope this helps.

Archived