Newbie to the South West area

derklee

Could try us in Cheltenham- CSS and then my company Production:av Ltd for video....

We know the guys at AudioMSG- good bunch.

Stage Electrics will give the support, but can sometimes be a little bit un-bothered by your traumas. We we given a water proof tab4 which should have been a standard tab4. Were they bothered? (Face look bothered?). Client was a bit pissed off, and telling them that there was zip we could do.....

My memories of their Plymouth branch are as posted- fairly pokey, and as long as you gave them enough notice they could generally achieve. If you needed that special thing NOW, well you'd better hope they had it in stock. Nub Sound used to do most of the stuff in the Union in Plymouth, but they were a bit ropey in my opinion. They might have changed their game as it's been over a year since I finished at Uni own there.

Once you get past taunton there's very little in the way of companies down there. Where exactly are you based?

That Bright (Blue Light) is a London based company connected with one of WL's regular designers.

Er... No. Bright* is based in Taunton (also trading as Bright Blue Light), but the MD is Jason Larcombe, an employee of White Light (according to their website, he's Training Officer). Day to day operations are carried out in Taunton, but Jason oversee's the operation.

Peter, just to correct you if I may.

bright* does not trade as "bright blue light" this is just a domain name.

Jason Larcombe, the company director, as well as Training Officer at Whitelight is primarily their senior project manager and lighting designer.

Bright (Blue Light) is a London based company

No they're not.

bright*,

c/o Cheshunt,

Church Lane,

Taunton TA3 5RL

01823 481011

And their warehouse is on the Priorswood Industrial Estate in Taunton, I believe.

Gareth, if I may offer further information.

bright* now have a new unit as you correctly stated in Taunton. The address and the business address is now;

bright*

venture way

priorswood industrial park

taunton

TA2 8DG

01823 339908

info@brightbluelight.com

Well guys, you've not let me down. Thanks for all the advice and links.

Rang Stage Electrics Bristol, and I must say it seems like a very professional organisation. Price may be a little steeper than normal but if they can offer the service that they show on their web site, then well worth it. Will see in the future if true to their word, keep you all updated.

Anyone know if the other companies do site visits?

Thanks again

Gareth, if I may offer further information.

You may! Thanks. I had a feeling that the contact details I had were a bit out of date - all I had was the address that was listed on some paperwork from a hire I had from them a couple of years ago, when they were just in the process of moving into the new unit. For the information of any prospective customers, the gear I had was all good stuff, maintained to an excellent standard.

Anyone know if the other companies do site visits?

Thanks again

I know bright* will happily do a site visit. In my experience their attitude has always been really professional when discussing what we wanted.

Regarding prices, SLX do offer a lot, but I always compare prices with others, usually SLX come out as most expensive.

• 1 month later...

try fineline... Pretty cheap 4 LX kit. Rob the hire manager is a good bloke.

http://www.fineline.uk.com/index2.asp

as far as stageelectrics goes - they have the stock, but when it comes to actually hiring from them I've found them to make errors and leave things out of deliveries from time to time. Good support though, but expect to pay over the odds for it. Their shop is very useful for gel and odds and ends though..

Hi all,

I would highly recommend Enlightened Lighting based in Bath. We use them on a regular basis and I have found their service second to none over the past five years that I've had dealings with them. Their website should have all the details you require.

Cheers Martin

• 3 weeks later...

hello all, I'm in the southwest and know several companies, some do lights in conjunction with others and some not at all. but here's a couple of names I know. Plymouth based.

NUB Sound 01752 255456, good range of gear,

rock PA.

in Cornwall fearless audio.

in exeter Planet audio 07789 275385, don't know the land line.

clockwork audio do lights and sound. something like clockworkaudio.co.uk

hope this helps. but there are several alternatives to stage if you don't want to pay a fortune.

Archived