Is a Hall a Theatre?

barrfieldsboy

Last year I did the sound for a school 'Battle of the Bands' the school hall had a demountable stage at one end that was a permanent feature which wasn't used that night . At the other end of the hall the partition wall was removed and hey ho the next room formed the stage . Some months later I did the sound for a ball in the same school hall and on this occassion the demountable stage was used as a stage and the partition wall was removed and that room , which has a floor level about 1 metre above the hall floor level, was used as a bar . I know this is of no help except maybe to muddy the waters a bit more .

If I want to see a piece of theatre I'd go to a theatre. If I want to see a concert I'd go to a concert hall.

How does that sound?

Having said that I think I'd agree with mac.calder when he says that:

I would probably describe a theatre as a space built specifically for the performance of theatrical works

A hall is designed either for either multi-purpose use or was originally designed for one other use (e.g. WI meetings, concerts, markets etc.) but could be used (as can anywhere really) for putting on a show.

A theatre is designed for putting on performances of live ... well, to use an appropriate word... theatre.

pretty well all the definitions I've found simply state "a theatre is a space where theatrical performances are held". So, pros arches, stages, seating, lighting, wings - even roof are irrelevant. I can think of plenty of 4 wall, empty floor spaces with 'theatre' in their titles. Many major houses have an attached studio theatre - very often a simple drama space.

A hall, in my opinion, could be a theatre when filled with performers and audience, but it reverts to hall when the local judo club have the run of the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I was at a gig talking to the guitarist from the band I was working for. The ex-lead signer walked up and held out a guitar and said what do you think? The guitarist (being a diplomatic guy) said Mmm. Nice. As the ex-lead singer walked away, the guitarist turned to me and said "Piece of wood with strings"

By any technical definition the ex-lead singer held a guitar but clearly the guitarist would disagree.

I have been to some shows that felt like a theatre while other shows (same room) felt like a room full of people. A lot comes down to ambiance which is partly the building, partly the show and partly the audience.

BTW some of the best shows I have seen (or worked on) have been in small church halls (billed as a theatre) with an audience of 40 (full house).

Archived