Problematic rig

Deathride

ok I am not an expert in dimmers but I have tried everything in the manual to sort this problem out which is

we have channels that WILL NOT DIM at all and then others that will only come on at 100% any idea whats the problem

or should I just restore to default ?!

we have channels that WILL NOT DIM at all and then others that will only come on at 100% any idea whats the problem

Are you sure it's the dimmers. Make sure the lighting console has not been set up to use the specific channels as switch channels( used to power things like UV tubes that cannot be dimmed).

ok I am not an expert in dimmers but I have tried everything in the manual to sort this problem out which is

or should I just restore to default ?!

Can you try and describe the problem a bit more clearly.

The Channels that "will not dim", what happens when the racks are first turned on? do he channels go to full? stay off completely regardless of control inputs?

The channels that only come on at 100%, do you have any control over them, or are they just stuck at 100%?

Do you have proper control over any of the LD90 channels?

Richard

If some channels on an LD90 work OK, and some fail to turn on/off - it possibly a failed triac (Strand call this the "power device") on that channel. Quoting from the LD90 Maintenance manual:

Power Devices typically fail "short circuit", and the classic indication of

this, is the inability to turn a dimmer off. To verify that a device has failed,

attempt to control the load using the LEVEL facility, this ensures the

problem is not with the control wiring. If it is impossible either to turn the

dimmer on, or off, and MCB has been checked, then the power device is

most likely to be at fault.

The good news is that its quite easy for a competent electrical service engineer to replace the triac. The procedure is also in the Maintenance manual.

Given you're a student, this is something for your course tutor / resident technician to organize. They may be able to do it themselves, or might have to call on the services of an engineer.

Regards,

Marc

Archived