Rackmount Audio Mixer

Brian

I'm looking for a small 4U/5U rackmount audio mixer. It needs to have a handful of mic input, a similar amount of line inputs and a PFL system. I've found the (obsolete) Mackie LM3204 and the Samson MPL1204. A couple of auxes would be nice. The Alesis 12R is OK but no PFL (I could fake it by using the prefade aux).

Anyone come across any others? Must be 4U/5U.

I know some of the soundcraft spirit mixers are able to be rackmounted - the SX and the FX8 I think. Might be worth having a look at them.

Do you need linear faders? There is a small Behringer mixer - a Europower mixer but not sure of the model number, but only has rotary pots if I remember right.

Sadly all the Souncraft ones end up being a bit too high when rack mounted. Although the new 'Compact 10' looks very interesting but doesn't seem to be rack-mountable (unless the end-cheeks come off)

I can live with rotary faders although linear ones would be better.

I'm looking for a small 4U/5U rackmount audio mixer. It needs to have a handful of mic input, a similar amount of line inputs and a PFL system. I've found the (obsolete) Mackie LM3204 and the Samson MPL1204. A couple of auxes would be nice. The Alesis 12R is OK but no PFL (I could fake it by using the prefade aux).

I know you say *must* be 4-5U - but what about 1U mixers - though they might be *too* minimal for your requirements:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_apart_pm_7400...p_prodinfo.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-169610.html

and others...

I've got a HZ International Q-Mix - like the above it's a 1U mixer. 4x mic channels with phantom, 2x stereo line channels. Mic channels have 3 band EQ, gain, volume, FX send. No PFL though. The knobs are a bit small and fiddly, but it works well.

Not sure if HZ are still around, but I've seen a few advertised...

I've got it racked up in a 4U rack with a 2U power amp and a 1U speaker controller - I use it on very small gigs where all I need is a couple of mics and an input from a midi expander...

I've also used a 1U IMG/Stageline thing, which looked OK on paper but sounded terrible. Don't go there!

Bruce.

Edit: How about the Yamaha MV800. Never seen one, just the web page! No pfl, but it does have a "2 zone" matrix, so you could use zone B for pfl maybe?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Formula sound range of modular mixers, Something like the PM-80 or PM-100 3 band EQ + PFL, 1 Aux + PFL

Thanks James, seem like nice units but the price is very high.

I know you say *must* be 4-5U - but what about 1U mixers - though they might be *too* minimal for your requirements:

Thanks, hadn't spotted those at Thomann. Using multiple 1U units is a possibility.

I put the feelers out and all I have had back so far is this one - RCF MX1822. Unfortunately it may be too large at 6U, which seems to be the minimum on most desks, I'm afraid.

Thanks. 6U is probably a bit more than I wnated to house.

Studiomaster do a 1U mixer - I haven't checked it meets your requirements but IIRC it got a good review in sound on sound.

Hmmm, that looks like a possibility.

I've got a HZ International Q-Mix - like the above it's a 1U mixer. 4x mic channels with phantom, 2x stereo line channels. Mic channels have 3 band EQ, gain, volume, FX send. No PFL though. The knobs are a bit small and fiddly, but it works well.

Can't find much technical info on this, I may need to ask you a few questions. Unless you know where I can find an electronic manual; the Hz website seems to be broken.

I've got it racked up in a 4U rack with a 2U power amp and a 1U speaker controller - I use it on very small gigs where all I need is a couple of mics and an input from a midi expander...

Which is exactly what I want it for.

I've also used a 1U IMG/Stageline thing, which looked OK on paper but sounded terrible. Don't go there!

Thanks for the warning.

How about the Yamaha MV800. Never seen one, just the web page! No pfl, but it does have a "2 zone" matrix, so you could use zone B for pfl maybe?

It also has a quite capable inserts where I could derive PFL signals.

Thanks for all the pointers so far.

Archived