Music Triggered Visualisation

dominicgross

G-Force

I use the standalone version to VJ with. You can select any internal or external sound source to trigger the waveforms, and it's very scriptable and configurable. I use an aux send from the mixing desk, but because it goes through a video capture card, there's a 250ms latency. I just use a -250ms delay on the aux send to compensate, and the waveforms end up in sync.

Fantastic chromakeyed over live camera feeds!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G-Force

I use an aux send from the mixing desk, but because it goes through a video capture card, there's a 250ms latency. I just use a -250ms delay on the aux send to compensate, and the waveforms end up in sync.

250ms + 250ms = 500ms dosn't it. If you have a delay of minus 250ms then I want one! (Crank it up to about 40 minutes, wait for the lottery result..........!)

Mark

250ms + 250ms = 500ms dosn't it. If you have a delay of minus 250ms then I want one! (Crank it up to about 40 minutes, wait for the lottery result..........!)Mark

I'm fairly sure he means a 250ms delay on the sound going to the amps compared to the signal going to the computer.

Although that's not what he said...

250ms + 250ms = 500ms dosn't it. If you have a delay of minus 250ms then I want one! (Crank it up to about 40 minutes, wait for the lottery result..........!)Mark

I'm fairly sure he means a 250ms delay on the sound going to the amps compared to the signal going to the computer.

Although that's not what he said...

I'm not too good at explaining these things here!

Ableton Live allows for "negative" track delays. Obviously, it just applies a positive delay to the rest of the tracks. I use it for the visualizer to offset the video card latency, and also on many of the lights. The strobes, for example, need a 150ms "head start" to flash directly on the required beat. It's critical for rapid-fire snare rolls for the strobe to flash right on the beat. The scanners panning head needs 250ms, the tilt head 150ms, and the blinders 250ms to keep everything beat-matched.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some amazing RTG computer visuals over the years, and things like G-Force and MilkDrop can produce some amazing stuff ... but it seems almost everyone is using G-Force and MilkDrop, or at least, a very small handful of RTG visualisers.

I saw one VJ team last year that blew my socks away: Eskatonia Performance Visuals, out of Sydney Australia. I strongly urge all aspiring VJs to grab their online demo-reel which can be found here:

http://www.eskatonia.net/visuals/ourvisuals.html

Eskatonia have become a much-in-demand visuals artist both here in Australia and also overseas in London, providing visual material for some of the biggest names in trance & techno, including Hallucinogen and Infected Mushroom. In fact, Eskatonia has become so popular that a sister outfit, Rezidue Visuals, was formed to handle the local market.

The 'secret weapon' in the Eskatonia arsenal is a PowerBook running a little-know but incredibly flexible Quartz Extreme development environment known as "PixelShox". Whilst it is quite impressive as-is, once it has had some node-work done on it, the results are nothing short of phenomenal. Eskatonia's real-time-generated visuals make MilkDrop, G-Force et al look like output from a Commodore64 :rolleyes:

Brains

• 7 months later...

Hey BR,

I have a student 'dance and technology' piece to sort out that has me stumped on one area for the moment:

They want a projection on the back wall similar in style to the random-rainbow-graphic type visualisations you get when playing music on Windows Media Player. Fine says I - twin head graphics card, switch visualisation to full screen. The catch is that they want a live ambient mic (or mics) at stage level giving input to the visualisation so that in sections without music the footfalls and other sounds made will effect the image.

How do I give a live feed to WMP, or what alternative solution can I use?

Cheers in advance,

Gareth.

• 2 years later...

*Necromancy at work.*

I am looking to do some form of visualisations in 2 weeks for a show (setting up this Friday).

All the various bits of kit I need are college based, except for the unicol drop bar which, I need to confirm hire of sooner rather than later, What I now need to do is work out the visualisation software and or plugins

I will point out I have looked at winamp which is good but not really with the key thing I would like which is the ability to have dual screens.

And so to the list of things I would like;

• The visual to possibly be fire and forget OR some VERY simple "cues".

• Dual screen is a must, being able to control from a laptop and seeing the visual as a projection.

• It should be able to link to the sound desk to react to live sound of the band.

• I would rather not see names of the plugins, file names etc like on winamp/itunes.

• Not a MUST but being able to include text like a music video would be useful, if not being able to display a full screen message would be useful.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Resolume 2 will do FFT analysis, which you can then link to aspects of the graphics onscreen. You can also then lay text on top. It can be setup to have a control and an output screen and it has DMX and MIDI control too. N.B You need version 2 rather than the version 3/Avenue they are currently plugging.

At the free end, I think Screen Monkey now has support for Winamp or WMP visualisation plugins.

Archived